Buena Vista Baptist Church History

BVBC Church

During the spring of 1952, Dr. David Grant, W.D. Hulett, and the ladies of the Missionary Union of Burgin Baptist Church conducted a religious census of the Buena Vista community. Upon completion, they decided to hold a revival. They received permission from the Presbyterian Church to use their facilities. The revival meetings were led by Dr.David Grant and were very successful.
The Sunday School and Worship Services were held in the Buena Vista School gym by Brother Hocker, W.D. Hulett, and Brother Cecil Keeling until late fall. During these services, it was decided to purchase the Presbyterian Church building. However, the deed was held too long; thus, it was decided to build a new church. McKinley Day donated the site and $1,000.00 to start the building. His donations were matched by other members of Burgin Baptist Church and Buena Vista Mission, while others donated their time and labor. The building was completed in October 1953, and Brother Charles Phillips was the first pastor.
In October 1955, an “All-Day Meeting” was held and dinner was served on the lawn of Brother Elmer Parsons. The ladies of Burgin Baptist Church and Buena Vista Mission prepared the meal. The building was dedicated, as a church, by Dr. David Grant, Brother Charles Phillips, and Reverend Tom Nix. The meeting was climaxed with the burning of the notes and bills by the building committee to evidence the building was free of debt.
On December 15, 1956, the Buena Vista Mission voted to become an independent church with a vote of 20 to 0. The Buena Vista Mission became Buena Vista Baptist Church on January 2, 1957. Brother George Dye was the pastor. The church has since had many wonderful and loving pastors. George and Sue Evelyn Day are charter members serving faithfully today.
In 1968, Mrs. Ola Mae Duggins donated land for the church parsonage. In 1984, an addition, including three Sunday School classrooms, two bathrooms, and a baptistry was built. In 1994, Mrs. Duggins donated more land for additional parking. On January 24, 1998, the church purchased two adjacent lots in hopes of future expansion. In 2000, the church established “Building for Jesus” in hopes of building a new larger church to minister to the needs of a growing community.
In December 2002, Rick Brackett created a website on SBC to enlist help in the building process. In January 2003, Obie Fuller from Carpenters for Christ emailed Rick that BVBC was a potential candidate for their mission project. In February 2003, Carpenters for Christ met with the church. In June 2003, Carpenters for Christ from Valley, Alabama began the building process. When they left, the building was framed, under-roof, and the steeple raised. Laborers for the Lord from McCalla, Alabama, along with a group from Blytheville and Osceola, Arkansas worked on the insulation and drywall. In August, a group from Gardenside Baptist Church in Lexington, Kentucky, framed around the baptistry. Late 2003, Charlie Conn and Bill Thompson took over the task of overseeing the building completion. The first official service in the new building was February 1, 2004 with the dedication following on July 11, 2004.
In the fall of 2004, an anonymous person donated $100,000.00 to begin building a Family Life Center. God is now using the Family Life Center to minister to the community
 through our various ministries, such as Awanas and the upcoming CenterShot ministry.

In 2016, our current pastor, Bro. Casey McClure, joined us!  The congregation is excited to see what God has planned for the church.   Over the years, many changes have come about at Buena Vista Baptist Church, but one thing has not changed…we are here to serve the Lord, our neighbors and community with One Heart and One Purpose.